Home About Contact Home Australia Blog

Friday, August 7, 2009

I Heart Kindle

Moving to Australia has changed my life in many ways- mostly for the better. I'm lulled to sleep at night by the sound of waves slapping the shore, I buy (and eat) so much fresh bread that the lady at the bakery knows me by name, and my conversations are sprinkled with charming Aussie terms like "heaps", "bits", "cheers", and "no worries". But the biggest change is that I no longer watch T.V. At all. Despite the fact that we have the Platinum Pay-T.V. package, which allows us to get all 5 HD channels available here in Australia, there is simply nothing on that I want to watch. So our T.V. now primarily shows episodes of Little Einsteins and is a monitor for Wii games. And truly, my life is better for it.
But something had to fill the void T.V. left in my life, so I've become a voracious reader. I've always loved a good book, but now that it is my main source of nightly entertainment I'm taking it a bit more seriously.
That's why I am so head-over-heels for my new Kindle 2.




Kindle is the super slim electronic reading device available at Amazon.com. Unfortunately, it is only available for delivery to U.S. addresses. There are two main things I love about the Kindle. The first is that I can buy books for $9.99 and read them instantly. This is a real bargain because paperback books are about $25 here in Australia! Secondly, I don't have to deal with storing all the books I buy. I just don't have room to keep stacks of books and even though I do enjoy passing books along to friends, this is just so much more convenient. The Kindle is also great for travel. Check out how thin it is:



So now at night instead of parking myself in front of the T.V. to watch another mindless reality show, I curl up with my Kindle and lose myself in the "pages" of a good book. I hope it's a habit that sticks with me when we move back to the U.S.

*Writing this reminded me of one of my favorite poems by Roald Dahl called Television. If you've never read it, check it out.*

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Michelle said...

My mother in law is a HUGE fan, too. When people see her reading it in doctors offices, my niece's swim lessons, etc., she is like a walking advertisement for Kindle. I like the idea of not having shelves full of finished books taking up space.
Enjoy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Edub Graphic Art and Design